Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Interview with inspiring author, Nick Roussos!






"Today, I'd like to welcome author, Nick Roussos for an interview. I'm thrilled to have you here today, Nick. I can't wait to introduce you and your book to my readers."
"Thank you, Deanie, I'm excited to be spending time with you today."
"We'll get right to the questions now, Nick."

     Tell us a little about yourself.
  "My childhood was unique and interesting.  I was born and raised in eastern Africa with my mother, father, and little brother Jason.  When I was 14, I went to England for boarding school. I attended St. Roses School for Disabled Children. When I was 19, I moved to the United States to receive my high school diploma and better medical care. My mom moved with me, and my father stayed in Africa to run the family business, though we still see him often when he visits the U.S. 
I'll bet you had some really interesting experiences growing up in Africa and England, Nick. 

Tell us about your book:
Helping in Action is an awesome adventure story about a boy in Africa who realizes he is capable of being a hero when he finds a baby lion in need of help. It is story for children based on my early years growing up in Ethiopia.  The central character is a baby lion, Sandy, who was lost from her parents. She gets into a lot of trouble, and I have quite the adventure helping her to get out of it!  The adaptive equipment that I need to move and speak is not pointed out in the text, instead we let the pictures illustrate a boy hero - living, playing and helping others. 

In real life, as a child, I  helped feed Sandy, and sometimes she slept in my bed with me.   
Oh, your book sounds adorable already, Nick!
    How did you get the idea to write your book?
     The African the animals that I saw as a child were very different from the pets most children have. It is fun to share my early adventures with new and old friends. The love of children gave me the motivation to write for children and share some of my childhood adventures. I also love animals.  
I can imagine how much children love your adventures with your animal friends, Nick. I know I'll enjoy reading your book.

    What do you think is the most important message your book shares?
The main message in my book is that we need to reach out and help others.  Anyone can be a hero and anyone can contribute.  Our circumstances do not need to limit us.
That's a wonderful message, Nick and one that all children should know about. We never know what we can do until we try.

  Are you planning to write another book?
 Yes, I am planning a series of at least 4 children’s books.  I am just finishing up the first draft of book two.  I don’t want to give the story away just yet, but the working title is Exploring in Action, also set in Africa.  
I'll look forward to your new book. It's exciting you're planning a whole series.


Who Illustrated your book?
Pam Marcus-Bause is the illustrator.  She lives with her family in Fort Collins Colorado.  Helping in Action is her first children’s book.  She and her family are longtime friends of mine.
Illustrators have very special talents, I think. You'd laugh if you saw things I draw, Even my Mom doesn't know what they are.

   What do you like to do besides writing?
I enjoy music, theater, karaoke, meeting new people, and participating in various adaptive sports.  I especially like to go FAST and take air at Eldora Ski resort here in Colorado.
You have many interesting hobbies Nick. You're definitely an inspiration to everyone.

        Please tell us the links to where we can purchase your book?
The most profitable for me is to order from my website directly:

You can also find my book on Amazon:




  Is there anything else you’d like to share?
  I was born with Cerebral Palsy, use a power wheelchair to get around and a communication device to talk. I don’t let what some people call disabilities get in the way of having goals, writing children’s books, public speaking, and enjoying life. I do a lot of disability awareness education in schools, and love to help break down the barriers that some students may first have when seeing someone with disabilities such as myself.
My website is www.awesomeinaction.com
 You can see and hear me in this short video: https://vimeo.com/91745606
I just finished speaking at TEDxFrontRange: Wisdom and Wonder. It was a very awesome and fun! I was so nervous,  I went the wrong way off the stage after my speech!

You should be very proud of all your accomplishments, Nick! I'm so glad you're having fun and making a positive difference to so many people. Keep up the good work!
 "Thank you so much for spending time with me today. It was fun."
  "You're welcome, Deanie, I enjoyed our time together as well."

*pictures from Nick's Mom

Author Nick Roussos



























1 comment:

  1. Hi Deanie and Nick,
    This was a wonderful interview! @ Nick, I'm really glad that your Ted Talk was recorded so other people can see it (me included). You both did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete