Thursday, December 11, 2014

Interview with Talented Author, Ann (Ana) Morris




"Today I'm delighted to be interviewing Children's author, Ann (Ana) Morris. Thank you so much for spending time with me so that we could learn more about you and your children's picture books. We'll get right to the questions now.

How did you become interested in writing?
I have always loved writing. When I was young, I wrote a lot of letters, diaries, poetry (two poems published when I was 10 and 12 in Wee Wisdom magazine).

 As I got older, I loved writing papers for literature classes and began writing letters to the editor about topics that touched my soul. I have written and translated newsletters for work and volunteer organizations.

 My parents, especially my mom, always encouraged me to write. She loved the letters I wrote home from Spain and said I had a gift.
How do you get ideas for your picture books?

The ideas for my picture books come from memories: experiences with young family members and my own experiences as a child and as an adult.
How long does it usually take you to complete a book?
           
Some books nearly write themselves in a few days. Others require more thought to tie in events and to be certain that something pivotal happens in the story. I must admit that sometimes the stories have some fictitious elements for interest and clarity.      
Who illustrates the books for you?
           
“Mommy and Mikel Go for a Walk”/”Mami y Mikel dan un paseo” was published originally by Authorhouse. I had it republished by Mascot Books. Both times I used in house illustrators.

“Surprise in Auntie’s Garden!”/”¡Sorpresa en el jardín de la tía!” was illustrated by talented Heather Brown Varkarotas. I was fortunate to find her on LinkedIn and Facebook! She is also a children’s author and illustrator in her own right.

My new work in progress, “Everything Is Different!”/”¡Todo es distinto!” is being illustrated by Melissa Wright of Bee Scene Studios.

The next book will probably be illustrated by an in house illustrator, as there is such a variety of styles of choice.
Would you please tell us a little about your books?
         
I write my books in English and separately in Spanish. I find they are wonderful reads for native-speaking children and readers as well as a challenge to language learners. They usually include an inquisitive child, a positive adult role model, and a “teaching moment”, including an opportunity to show the child how to learn information.

 “Mommy and Mikel Go for a Walk”/”Mami y Mikel dan un paseo” is about a nature walk I took with my son when he was very young and curious. I answered many passing questions for him until he discovered an animal that I could not identify. We went to the library to resolve that mystery.

“Surprise in Auntie’s Garden!”/”¡Sorpresa en el jardín de la tía!” is about a shared love of my flower garden with my niece Erin. One day she discovered a colorful “worm” eating milkweed in my garden. That led us to my office to identify the caterpillar on the Internet. We followed the progress of the caterpillar through its dormant stage and witnessed its debut into its new world.      
          Do your books usually have a central message you’d like to share with children?
           
            Yes. The message I always wish to portray is that learning is fun. We can learn in many ways. Life is full of marvels. The message is portrayed in such a way to be fun for children and interesting to adults also. The purpose of writing in two languages is also a message about communication. The better we can communicate, the more we can learn.
          Please share how we may purchase your books.

Thank you! My books can be purchased online with major book companies, such as Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I also have my own website that provides an opportunity to purchase books as well as information about my activities.

My books are also in other local Des Moines, Iowa and other Iowa bookstores and libraries.
          Are you working on a new book now?
           
“Everything Is Different!”/”¡Todo es distinto!” is actually about a trip my ex-husband and I took to the UK (England in particular). As he had not traveled abroad, he was the one noticing everything different. I chose to portray him as my nephew with my brother-in-law on a short visit. The big message here is that being different is normal. Not everything is the same everywhere, and that’s part of life.

My newest book done in English, yet to rewrite in Spanish is “Let’s Go Take a Hike”. It is also a memory, but this time from my childhood. We used to have annual summer picnics with another family of cousins and loved the fun we had. We went to the same park each year. The lesson here is modified. There are parental instructions with more child interaction and learning experiences.
         Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I am full of memories and ideas from other people. I love to write, and as long as I can, I will continue. I love reading to school children. They are completely engaged and I love to relate to them in a comfortable and casual way. I love their feedback, questions, and hugs!
         Is there anything else you’d like to share?

I am full of memories and ideas from other people. I love to write, and as long as I can, I will continue. I love reading to school children. They are completely engaged and I love to relate to them in a comfortable and casual way. I love their feedback, questions, and hugs!



I've reviewed all of Ann's books and they're lovely. I heartily recommend them! It was fun chatting with you today, Ann.

1 comment:

  1. These look like lovely books. Best wishes for success to Ann. Nice job on the questions and answers Ann and Deanie.

    ReplyDelete