Tuesday, December 2, 2014

An Intriguing Interview with Author, Andean White








"Good morning, Andean, it's so kind of you to spend time with me today to discuss your book, Winter's Thief. 
"You're welcome, Deanie. I'm excited to be here with you today. Let's  get on with the questions now."

Tell us about your book Winter's Thief:
Winter's Thief is a medieval story of a secretly adopted baby destined to become queen-if she survives. The story takes us into the lives of the characters providing security, and those who wish to see her dead. Oscar, the captain of the guard was instrumental in the success of the king's scheme, has second thoughts when his farmer son meets the princess several years later. Their budding romance struggles as they battle treason, spies, revenge, assassination, kidnapping, abduction, ambush, social class, beasts and parents.
Have you always wanted to be an author?
Writing was a relatively new adventure for me. My career path had been manufacturing management until about three years ago when health forced me to retire. a few years previous I began writing travel journals with a humorous undercurrent-recording observations of cultural differences, language mishaps, and other travelers. Several journal readers suggested I try writing. It has become a fun and rewarding occupation.
How did you get the idea for your book?
Kathryn Elizabeth Jones, mentor turned editor, asked me if I would write a page and a half story inspired by a card pulled randomly from a deck. The card contained a reproduction of the Bernardo Martorelli painting titled Saint George Killing the Dragon.-a castle, princess, knight, and a dragon.
 I was not thrilled with the assignment. I put it off until a couple of hours before our meeting. With little time to proof, I had to be at my best. It turned out pretty good. Over the past month Kathryn talked me into five pages, ten pages, couple of chapters, then a book.
How long have you been writing?
It's been about three years as a writer. If the travel journals are included, about five years.
Is there a central message in your book?
The first goal with Winter's Thief was to write a good entertaining story. Along the way, a central theme crept in--good guys eventually win. If your heart is true and your intentions are good, life will reward your efforts.
How long did it take you to complete the story?
Winter's Thief took about ten months.
What genre is your book best suited for?
It's a heroic fantasy with a seasoning of young adult.
Can you describe your writing process?
My first step is developing a general story line- typically five to eight-word sentences that represent the chapters. For example, Oscar sneaks baby into castle. The next task is providing better descriptions and key details to a section of chapters. The work of writing turns these notes into the story. When I am satisfied with that part of the book, I move on to the next section. Previously, I attempted to outline the whole tale, but found that the characters and the story sent me "off script."
Are you working on any projects now?
I have started the second book, Saraton Summer. It is planned to be a trilogy, but the series might turnout to be four books-one for each season.
What are your goals for the future?
I hope I can continue to write entertaining stories. I have a few short stories that I think could be turned into books. But for now, my focus is finding out what happens to Kendrick, Althea, Oscar, and Quentin-the cast of Winter's Thief.
Where can people purchase your book? Please share your links.


  • soft cover books are available on Amazon.com and your favorite internet bookstore:
  • http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Thief-1-Andean-White/dp/0988810751/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417401546&sr=1-1&keywords=Winter%27s+Thief
  • The e-book version is only available on Amazon.com:
  • http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Thief-Andean-White-ebook/dp/B00O5D6QNS/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1417401546
  • Soft cover book: 
  • http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Thief-1-AndeanWhite/dp/0988810751
Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Winter's Thief" is a fun engaging read. Early reviews have included phrases like Wow-Just Wow, Bravo, I loved it, and so on. I hope other readers find the book very entertaining as well."


2 comments:

  1. Winter's Thief sounds like a good book. I like the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Sherry. It sounds really interesting. I'll be reviewing it soon.
    Thanks for stopping by to read the interview.

    ReplyDelete